Thursday, June 18, 2009

All the things we have been doing

So I just wrote a huge long post and then it got erased cuz the internet cut out :( :(
Let's see if I can sum it up in a shorter message :)

So this past Saturday was Faith Day. We split into two teams each with a couple locals with us as well. The goal of the day was to go to The Capital (ie the city) with nothing but a bunch of out dated Christian literature and the clothes on our backs and sell enough books to be able to eat and return home by 6 o'clock. We weren't allowed to bring any of our own money and we had to save 30 percent of the money we made. It was an interesting day but God provided immensely. I was pretty nervous about the whole thing and thought we would be desperately begging people to buy these old books and not have any luck doing so. But it was quite the opposite. The entire day was really relaxed and we were able to eat (and eat enough) and we got back home at 5:45. My team consisted of two locals and my teammate Tim. I partnered up with a guy named Pipi :) and when we were selling he was extremely calm and did not feel rushed. It was a great time to practice patience and also my spanish since he didn't speak a word of english. My brain was fried though by the end of the day, and my spanish was not very good that day for some reason. But all in all we had a great day talking and getting to know each other and we sold 39 pesos worth of books. We were able to spend 22 of that on food and 5 for the trip back. Plus God provided an extra treat from a guy selling Pan Rellenas (bread filled with ham/cheese and also ones filled with Chicken). He didn't have enough to pay for the books he wanted so he gave us some bread instead!! It was a gift from Heaven :) :) He was such a great man with so much joy and love in his heart. After chatting with him we got some Panchos (hot dogs) and a 7 Up to share and headed home. We were exhausted but i feel like my faith was definitely strengthened through the experience. I think it was a lesson in trusting God to provide. "You will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You" Psalm 26:3 :) Exactly what happened that day.
Well that night after the faith day Jon, Mary Clare, and I met up with one of the girls we met in an English institute last week. It was fun to hang out with her, her boyfriend, her best friend, and her best friend's boyfriend. We stayed out pretty late, but that is normal for the young people here- a lot of them go dancing till 8 in the morning. Not sure if we'll do that while we are here but maybe :)
Sunday we went to church and then to a concert downtown. One of the directors of an English Institute here has a son who was in the band. We went with a bunch of the teacher's from the English institutes and had a blast listening to the Inmaduras (inmatures). They were a really good band.
Monday was a holiday here in Argentina. I think it was their flag day. So we had an Asado-Argentine BBQ. I ate more meat than I think I have ever eaten in my entire life! And I tried Cow Intestines :) chewy and not very appetizing. After the Asado we played soccer with about 30 young guys who we invited to come. I played for about 10 minutes and then quit to hang out with some of the other people who came. I was the only girl playing for a little while :) The rest of the day we tried to learn a card game called truco but it has a ton of rules! It's a blast though and I hope to get better at it while here. We met some more people which was fun. We definitely are making a lot of contacts! The other week when we went out for pizza about 30 people showed up :) We definitely have been blessed in meeting people.
Tuesday was our day off but Mary Clare and I met up with the same girl from saturday night. Her name is Jimena. We went shopping and then went over to her house. I ended up staying most of the evening. Mary Clare left to go see another friend, so I sat and chatted with her family. They had a lot of questions about Americans-politics, movies, family, etc. We talked forever but it was great. They invited me to eat dinner with them and so I didn't get home till about 11:30 pm. They were a very welcoming family and I think I helped change their opinion about Americans a little bit- I realy should say United States since this is technically America too. They had a wonderful dog named Tommy that I got to play with as well :) I hope to go over to their house again to converse and work on my spanish some more.
Yesterday was Weston's Birthday and the poor guy was sick, he stayed home most of the day. But I don't think he minded to much. We bought him a cake and celebrated a little bit with him. In the middle of the day I went to lunch with a girl name Mikaela. Her mom owns a restaurant in San Martin (another neighborhood). We had pasta filled with cheese and ham in a tomato cream sauce and Tiramisu for dessert. Oh my goodness was it delicious!!!! Plus I spoke with her in Spanish for 2.5 hours and it was really easy for me to understand her. She is a really great girl and she's going to come to our spanish class that we will be having tomorrow night at the house! I am excited to get to know her better :) We also taught an english class during the evening. This time it was just Jon and I teaching but we had a great time talking about Halloween and New Years in the States. They think it's so funny that we dress up and go to peoples houses asking for candy. Plus Jon and I had a great time talking on the way there and back. I'm really enjoying to get to know my team better.
Now it's thursday :) I'm feeling sick now so please lift prayers for our whole team and health. It seems like everyone here is getting sick! Everyone on the trains and busses are coughing and Martin's daughters are both sick :( :( It's not very helpful for us cuz it drains our energy so much. And please lift up all the people we are meeting up to God as well. I truly feel blessed with all the friendships we are making and I'm having a great time learning about their lives and the differences between their culture and ours.
Well I think I'm going to get going. Hopefully I can give more updates soon. Maybe less words and more pictures :) :) Be looking foward to a picture of me in these awesome pants that I bought. They are really popular here but they are pretty ugly-but sooooooo comfortable :) :)
Well anyway love you all talk to you soon

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of you for your successful completion of Faith Day. I could only imagine how challenging that would have been. Have you dreamed in Spanish yet? When that happens you would know that the Spanish immersion is taking root, and the miracle of language is beginning to take place (thinking natively in the second language without having to translate from native language). I am glad you are developing friendships. Stay well. I'll be praying for your health. I miss you! Siempre, Juanito

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren--

    :) It's been so awesome reading all of your updates; it just makes me miss Argentina that much more, I wish i could be there. It brings a smile to my face knowing how encouraging the day of faith was for you because it definitely was for me. I will definitely be praying for you and your team. Miss and love ya. Abrazos. te quiero!

    ReplyDelete